[Hampshire] Alternative Window Managers

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Alternative Window Managers
Hi all

Is there a windowmanager for x out there that's similar to the old Sun OpenWindows? OpenWindows is a difficult thing to google for (believe me) because it's so old and google assumes you want to open a window!!!

I'd quite like to play with a wm that's neither gnome nor kde but I can't make my mind up whether to try and heavily customise either will give me the desired result.

It's going back quite a while but the best desktop I've ever used (though I'm in no mood to start a flame war or defend it in any way!) was OpenWindows - around 1993 on Sun sparc workstations. I particularly liked the 3 buttons on the sparc mice: left and right work just like on Win or gnome but the middle button actually brought up the "program menu" (not sure what else to call it). I know that with enough configuring, I could probably get gnome or even kde to behave in this way but there were other bits and pieces about OpenWindows I liked (its look and feel). Funnily enough, the only OS I've seen recently which has something similar (in terms of look and feel) is this RISC OS thing that's almost dead anyway (and only runs on these strange RISC machines by the look of it) - and I dislike the "icon bar" on RISC OS.

I'm not interested at all in 3d desktops like compiz-fusion or flip3d - so does anyone know of anything akin to OpenWindows? I found [1] but to try out all of these finding the right one would take ages.

Cheers
Rob

[1] http://xwinman.org/others.php