[Hampshire] passwords

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] passwords
Hi,

I have been asked to apply to a Linux box the same password policy as
they are currently using on Windows.
I have been through the "long" list of various requirements. Linux can
do most of them but I do not know how to do the following in Linux:
All the following need to be on a per user basis, and not globally.
1) When a user has failed to login 3 times. The account should be
disabled for a configurable amount of time.
I believe Linux only has the option of a permanent disable, requiring
manual enable again.
2) Have the system remember previous passwords so that the user cannot
reuse a password.
I am pretty sure Linux can do this, I just cannot find where to config it.

Kind Regards

James