Re: [Hampshire] Data Recovery

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data Recovery
> I've had good experience with Steve Gibson's Spinrite. There's a ton of
> testimonials here
> http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm
>
> This guy is one of the best, I would trust everything he does.
>
> Spinrite is worth paying for simply for the maintenance effect, I buy very
> little proprietary stuff but I have a copy of this. You're welcome to
> borrow
> my copy if you undertake to buy your own copy if it works for you.
>
> Contact me off list if interested - rustleg @ gmail dot com.
>
> Regards
> Russell Gadd

Well I've read the site, and I'm at work so it might be I missed it while
doing a quick skim, but I cannot find any information about what Spinrite
actually does. It is compared to chkdsk but no real explanation of how it
manages to read failing disks, or what it does to fix the problems. Just
lots and lots of marketing stuff and comments like "it performs miracles"
which is backed up with lots of user comments. When working with something
like a computer I'm rather wary of people that claim their software
performs miracles... I would much rather see a technical explanation (or
at least a summarised one if they are worried about disclosing enough info
for people to copy it)

I'm sure it has worked for you, but I really don't like the idea of paying
for something which has no information about how / why it works for data
recovery.

Can anyone point me to something I missed on the site? or another review /
article that explains why it is so good?