Re: [Hampshire] Steve Gibson (Was: Re: Data Recovery)

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Steve Gibson (Was: Re: Data Recovery)
2009/1/26 James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???>

> 2009/1/26 Andy Smith <andy@???>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:52:52AM +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
> >> I've had good experience with Steve Gibson's Spinrite. There's a ton of
> >> testimonials here
> >> http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm
> >>
> >> This guy is one of the best, I would trust everything he does.
> >
> > Really?
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Gibson_(computer_programmer)#Controversy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Gibson_%28computer_programmer%29#Controversy>
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy
> >

> spinrite will not help at all with modern computer HDs.
> The IDE controllers hide the actual disk "low level" formatting from
> the PC for very good reasons.
> spinrite might have been good for the older floppy discs and RLL disk
> drives, but is not any use really with modern HDs.
> In fact, spinrite can seriously cause much more damage to an already
> partially damaged disc surface.
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Third (final) response:

Russell...

This is a recurring theme from the typical anonymous "know it
all" people who post in random forums on the Internet. So I
guess I'm just used to it ... though I know it can throw off
people who are less familiar with SpinRite's contemporary daily
successes with current drive technologies.

The two replies you already received from Mathayus and Dustin
are probably about the best responses anyone could provide.

I stopped adding testimonials to the SpinRite testimonials page
back on 2004 because we just had too many of them. But my final
project before I get back into new product development is to
create a simple little textual database so that people will be
better able to see just how continual -- and recent and ongoing
-- the flow of positive success stories about SpinRite really
is.

Steve Gibson