Re: [Hampshire] tail -f logfile in screen session ... server…

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: victor, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] tail -f logfile in screen session ... server dies... coincidence?
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 at 10:47:41AM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> I am just wondering ( the way you do when you do something
> out-of-the-ordinary and something else odd happens...)
>
> yesterday I tried setting up a 'screen' session on a remote server for
> the first time. I am not a screen user but have had it recommended to
> me by various people. One of the virtual terminals in the screen
> session was doing a tail -f of a log file, as I recall.
>
> This morning the server was deadly slow and unresponsive - not quite
> dead but bogged down. Am getting the data centre to reboot it as I
> write. That screen session would not lead to a huge memory footprint
> ... would it??

I can't speak for your situation, but I've left screen sessions
running for months at a time on a server. I've also had tail
following files for days, no problems yet. What did the system
think was eating resources?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

In a world without walls - who needs windows?
    -- anon