Re: [Hampshire] Distros of old

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Distros of old
On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 21:39:12 +0000
Mat Grove <mat@???> wrote:

> Old reviews of the distros from 9 years ago:
>
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/archives-best-distros-2000
>
> Of the memories it brought back, RPM dependency hell was the only one
> that didn't make me smile.

I'd forgotten how horrible Linuxconf was, I still haven't forgotten how
awful I found SuSE + Yast to use, though.

Of course it was rpm hell that eventually led me to Debian and smooth
upgrading from that first installation onwards. I think it would be
possible to move from the version 2.1 mentioned in that article
through to Lenny today with any need for a re-installation at any time.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop