Re: [Hampshire] Linux & Active Directory

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux & Active Directory
Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> He's just spent quite a long (and painful) time
> getting a Linux box integrated with Active
> Directory. A big part of the problem is that
> there are so many sites with snippets of config
> files - many of them contradictory or obsolete -
> but AFAIK there's no single "do it like this"
> solution.
>
> So - does anyone have one they'd like to share?

I'm afraid the notes I made for SSJ were left with
them, but I can give you a working smb.conf
fragment...

[global]
workgroup = STJAMES
security = ADS
realm = STJAMES
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
idmap uid = 30000-40000
idmap gid = 30000-40000
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%U
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes

Unfortunately, I've forgotten the reasons behind a
lot of those choices. It worked, though, to get a
Debian Etch server authenticating against a Win2k
PDC.

I seem to remember the hardest part was not the
config, but getting it all working afterwards.
There was a fair amount of command line
manipulation required, particularly to get
Kerberos set up.

I tended to work from the standard Samba docs, but
they're not always easy to follow.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.