Re: [Hampshire] DVB-T dongle for Asus EEE ?

Author: Alan Pope
To: HantsLUG mail list
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVB-T dongle for Asus EEE ?
2009/2/17 Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???>:
> Can anyone recommend a USB DVB-T dongle that'll work with the minimum
> of pain on an Asus EEE 901 with the original Xandros distro ?

If you have access to the device then I'd have a look at what
firmwares they supply in /lib/firmware for dtt cards. I tried my two
Freecom ones and they didn't work, but to be honest I just plugged and
tried, no major effort made.

> It's for someone at work and I really don't want to get into compiling
> kernels and the like for them.

You shouldn't need to. There is a digital tv app in the Asus Xandros
repository. You should be able to just grab the firmware for the
device in question from t'internet and slap it in the usual place. The
freecom ones I have do work in other distros (such as Ubuntu) if you
have the right firmware. Annoyingly my two devices look the same but
are sadly different internally. One uses the dvb-usb-wt220u-fc03.fw
firmware, the other uses dvb-usb-wt220u-zl0353-01.fw or maybe
dvb-usb-wt220u-02.fw, I forget.

The ones I have on my desktop are here: http://popey.com/~alan/dvb/

When I get home I can have a play with the Eee I have which has
Xandros installed and let you know.

Cheers,
Al.