Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Re: [hants] compression

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Re: [hants] compression

>> What is the nature of the material you are trying to
>> compress
>
> Arbitrary (but small (maybe upto 1MB)) stuff, and that
> could mean already compressed data

There is no such compressor.

It is impossible to generate an algorithm that will compress any input; if
any input stream leads to a shorter output stream[1] some input streams
will necessarily lead to longer lones :-(

A "universal" compressor fails the Counting Argument.

Vic.

[1] i.e. I'm ignoring the trivial (and useless) solution of just copying
input to output, thereby achieving zero compression and zero expansion on
all streams.