Re: [Hampshire] Convert VMWare files into .ISO

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Convert VMWare files into .ISO
2009/2/18 Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>:
> I've been working on a highly customised configuration based on Ubuntu.
> The eventual target is for it to be booted from a USB stick but all the
> development has been done in a vmware image.

Interesting choice, given your firmly expressed opinions about Ubuntu
in the past.

> Has anyone any guidelines about how to take the data in the VMWare image
> files and turn it into something that I can eventually burn into a
> bootable USB.
> What I'm working on is as follows:-
> The configuration is aimed at a portable PORTAL gateway.
> Portable == USB stick
> PORTAL == runs Firefox in KIOSK mode with a homepage that points at a
> customer portal.

System -> Administration -> Create USB Startup Disk

It creates a bootable USB image, which behaves similarly to the live
CD, which you can then persist user settings and software installs on.
I have only ever created it from a live CD, so I don't know if it
attempts to copy any settings or additional software from the machine
on which it is created.

Not sure that it is exactly what you want, but it's something.

Cheers,
Graham