Re: [Hampshire] Samba permission problem - this time correct…

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba permission problem - this time corrected
On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:32:21 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:52:16 +0000, xendistar@??? said:
> > My next problem maybe what you touched on in your first post, if the
> > wife adds a file to one of the shares it comes up as owner karen and
> > group karen (where as everything in the shares at the moments is listed
> > as owner mit group users.
>
> It's a common problem, particularly in commercial setups where you may
> want one group to be able to edit files, another to only read them, and
> deny other groups access altogether. The way we deal with that is along
> these lines (note: "+readgroup" means "all members of group 'readgroup'"):
>
> [sharename]
>     path = /path/to/share
>     force group = nogroup
>     force user = nobody
>     read only = no
>     read list = +readgroup
>     write list = +writegroup
>     create mask = 0600
>     directory mask = 0700

> Set the /path/to/share directory owner:group to nobody:nogroup and mode
> 0700. That means that no one has access to the files (it would be more
> secure to create a specific user:group for all Samba files and ensure no
> user is a member of that group). The "force" lines above will mean that
> all files are created nobody:nogroup; the read/write list lines determine
> who has what access to the files. In the above definition, a user who is a
> member of neither readgroup nor writegroup will not have any access to the
> files in that share. If necessary, multiple groups - or even users - can
> be listed on the read/write list lines.
>
> Keith

Ok just so I got this straight, the share section of my smb.conf would look like
this:

[sharename]
        path = /mnt/sda1/mp3
        force group = nogroup
        force user = nobody
        read only = no
        read list = +sambaread
        write list = +sambashare
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

I already have a group called sambashare (I thinks its a default group) so I
just need to setup a new group called sambaread. Also I would need to change
all the existing permission on the files\folders in my existing shares to
nobody and nogroup??

Tim

GET FREE 5GB EMAIL - Check out spam free email with many cool features!
Visit http://www.inbox.com/email to find out more!