Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: linux, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b3e100.hantslug.org.uk.23000': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 5 21:41:17 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:20:57PM +0000, Leo wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the ability for a computer
> to switch on after it's lost power (and obviously got it back again)
> from within Linux. (I know how to do it in the BIOS.) If so how?

The behaviour on recovery after power loss is a BIOS feature, and
has nothing to do with the OS installed on the machine. Your only
option is to set it in the BIOS.

It is conceivable that it might be possible to identify the
relevant bits in the CMOS memory that controls the feature, and then
use the CMOS driver in Linux to flip the bits to the right state, but
that's simply equivalent to rebooting the machine and changing the
BIOS setting. Note that the storage of BIOS settings are likely to be
highly machine-specific, and so no general-purpose tool is likely to
be safe or reliable for the job.

Hugo.

       --- Someone's been throwing dead sheep down my Fun Well ---