Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/3/6 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
>
>> On Friday 06 March 2009 09:55:21 Jacqui Caren wrote:
>>
>>> FWICR There are ways to get a linux box to auto login to a desktop
>>>
>> It can certainly be done with KDE, and is sometimes a good idea where physical
>> access to the computer is restricted, in order to simplify things for the
>> unique user. It also needs a strong root password.
>>

> Not really. Stick a bootable CD/floppy/USB stick in and all bets are
> off for any locally define users/passwords - unless the filesystem is
> encrypted of course..

That's where the "physical access to the computer is restricted" comes
in - mine is locked in a storeroom which is so out of the way that most
people wouldn't find it. As long as the power can be cycled from
outside the room, a reboot can be forced. It starts up X and logs in,
so that I can vnc into it. Works for me, anyway.