Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband on an Asus eeePC 701?

Author: gully gaoler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband on an Asus eeePC 701?
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, gully gaoler wrote:
>
>> i have a 701 running eeebuntu and the vodafone PAYG works ok.
>>
>> i don't spose that helps much.
>
> What make/model USB dongle thingy?
>
> I have a 701 which works "out the box" with my Huawei E220 USB modem on
> the 3 network.
>
> I'm pretty sure Vodafone used to use those same dongles as well, but when
> I tired a co-workers newer Vodafone USB dongle (stil Huawei, just a newer
> model) on the 701 earlier this year the machine didn't recognise it...
> though that's not to say it couldn't be made to work with some time and
> effort.
>
>   Andy

it's a huawei k3565, which is recognized by the vodafone software as
an E220. i bought it at the end of feb but couldn't get it to work at
first. i had to wait for later vodafone software.

i got it working by following the instructions in this note:

http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/forums/index.html?threadId=ff8080811fd6e796011fd7bafb36110b&postId=ff8080811fd6e796011fe0a271693ec7#ff8080811fd6e796011fe0a271693ec7

...followed the instructions and it worked first time!

jack