[Hampshire] Microsoft Vista Refund - Information Sought

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, Dorset Linux Users Group
Subject: [Hampshire] Microsoft Vista Refund - Information Sought
Hi All,

Apologies for the cross post but I am looking for the combined wisdom of
both and Hants and Dorset as I am in a bit of a hurry.

My daughter is buying a bargain laptop from Tescos where she works and
gets a staff discount. The said Acer Acer 5735z is on offer and
therefore there is some urgency around purchasing it while it is in
stock, etc. Smart girl* that she is, she has asked me to install Ubuntu
Linux, which she has used exclusively after she abandoned Windows a
couple of years back.

Since it comes with Vista I would like to claim that portion of the
price back - I know it won't amount to much, but Ellen would appreciate
the saving and there is a principle involved here.

Does anyone know or have pointers to information regarding the correct
way to go about this, and any pitfalls to avoid? I gather that by
powering it on and booting into Vista I implicitly accept the licence,
so I will be using a live CD to test Ubuntu functionality before I boot
into Vista /if/ I boot into Vista, and depending on the answer to this
question.

All help appreciated, and I will post the result of my efforts.

Sean

* She got 11 'A*' and 'A' results at GCSE O Level and 2 'A' results at
GCSE AS Level - does this statistic mean that Linux is the OS of choice
for clever folk? Evidently not, since I use it too! :-)

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa