[Hampshire] iplayer and BBC licence fees (again)

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] iplayer and BBC licence fees (again)
Hello folks

I know this was discussed last year, but a non-TV-owning client has just
asked me whether he needs a BBC licence to use iPlayer, and I was
surprised to find this page at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/channels/television/iplayer.shtml which
implies that he does. It says "The TV programmes are free for UK
licence fee payers, at high quality and with no advertising."

On the other hand, the iplayer terms and conditions at
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_iplayer/termscon make
no mention of the BBC licence fee.

It's all rather confusing really. Maybe the government should admit the
the licence fee is really a tax that they expect everyone to pay, and
give up the charade about the BBC being independent.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???