Re: [Hampshire] Restore native Xandros to Eee PC 901

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Restore native Xandros to Eee PC 901
Hiya,

> I just sent mine back - alternate numeric keys had just stopped working,
> which prevented me logging in. Collected Monday, returned today... And
> the fix was "reinstall OS". I've yet to check that it is all OK, but
> I'm a bit flabbergasted that Xandros + the updates they've issued could
> have caused that - even on the restore option?!
>
> Peter

I have both an eee 701 and aspire one 110. I found that the software update
process was always fraud with danger. I used to watch the respective forums
to see whether anyone had dared to upgrade and had encountered any problems.
In the end I wiped both of their original distros and put a mainstream distro
on them. I lost some of the boot speed but at least I get timely updates to
security issues and they are less likely to break my config.

Cheers,
Steve