Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: Rik
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 18:16 +0000, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a fantastic deal from Absolut Music in Poole. It was a Tapco LinkUSB musicians audio interface. It works with ubuntu and as far as my tests have gone pretty good.
>
> It's 24 bit, bidirectional at all sampling rates below 88kHz and unidirectional at 88 and 96kHz. has a built in mic amp with phantom power if you need it. I think I paid £69 for it (rrp £199)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.

My 50 pence worth;

Minidisc side by side with mp3, cd or vinyl sounds really lifeless and
flat IMHO. Nothing more scientific needed than a pair of reasonable
ears. Physically it's a bit 50/50. I've seen a number of top end Denon
broadcast Minidisc players borked by the tiny screws falling out of
minidisk media. It's a fun format, but compared to MP3 it's pointless in
all but concept. However, it still sounds better than the average MOBO
sound card without any doubt.

Vinyl gives better reproduction than CD. I wish I could point to where
that is specifically defined, but in the old vinyl-v-cd wars that have
gone on over the years that always seems to emerge. Possibly something
to do with sound being analogue and vinyl being an analogue medium. It
does not tend to suffer all of that rounding of ADC's. The flip of that
is most stuff is recorded (these days) on digital equipment. I still
occasionally press a run of 12 inch singles (I find they just sell
easier than CD's or downloads) and it has all been mastered in the
digital domain. So, horses for courses. CD is another transient media.
It is fairly pointless and limited in quality, lifespan and durability.
I still have records from the 1950s that play clearly. I have plenty of
tea-stained destroyed CD's from the 80's that remain un-played. I don't
think I would define that as 'better'.

As for the act of using Ubuntu (or Linux) to put vinyl to CD. It's
pretty flawless. I've happily had various M-Audio hardware (delta range)
work with Linux. Currently the cheerful USB Behringer soundcard works
without any installation on Ubuntu. They have just released a version
with a phone preamp in it too. Runs at about £25.(lots of the old
non-phono line only ones expected to drop in price I guess?). The one
thing I would say is get a quartz locked turntable with a decent Ortofon
or Shure cart. Go for stable speed and clean sound.

Rant and 50 pence worth over - back to the shadows....