Re: [Hampshire] What great grandma gets up to with ubuntu?

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What great grandma gets up to with ubuntu?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x579fc100.hantslug.org.uk.23612': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 31 17:30:39 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 31 Mar 2009, alan c wrote:
> Have just posted a blog item on a silver surfers site and thought you
> might enjoy knowing about it?

I did enjoy the story.

> I am reminded of the DAD project that I saw from Adam Trickett a
> while ago. At the time I was most envious of his (for me) way out
> skills. I still am. (However I keep at it!)

It's the same story though:

1) Properly configured box
2) Proper instruction for the user
3) Time to experiment
4) Remote admin

Even Windows can be properly configured, just out of the box it is worse than
most Linux distros.

I think a surprisingly small number of people - even the so called IT
generation - have proper IT skills. Computers are not obvious but that's not
to say it's hard to learn with proper instruction.

Retired people have more time than most to experiment (or so I'm told) indeed
I believe that though lacking in confidence grandma probably knows more than
mum or the teenage grandchild about computers, it's just that the teenager is
probably a lot more confident. IT literace in schools is very poor...

Finally while I suppose it's possible to remote admin a Windows box, it's not
something I want to do, especially if it's running on older or slower
hardware.

> Shopping delivered to Great Grandma, by Ubuntu Linux
> http://dnc.digitalunite.com/2009/03/31/shopping-delivered-by-ubuntu-linux/

Great story, I hope it gets people thinking.

> PS
> If any of you good folks could help link this up a bit it would be
> appreciated from a ubuntu point of view and also to raise awareness of
> what can be done with old hardware, free software, and a very simple
> stable OS.....

It's what I've been saying for ages.... I'll blog it anyway as it's a great
story.

> And of course to raise awareness of the silver surfers site, which
> unfortunately is almost entirely Windows based activities.

They are welcome to continue to use Windows, it's just I think that in many
cases Linux is a better solution. Windows is better for certain games and a
lot of viruses & spyware and sadly most of the books and courses available...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
    -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916