[Hampshire] I've broken grub

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] I've broken grub

I have an Acer Laptop that was daul booting with Mepis 8 and Kubuntu 9.04 (yes I
know its beta). I tried to make some changes to the grub, basicilly using the
mepis grub menu.lst and adding the kunbutu bit to it, Mepis has a graphical
grub scrren while kubuntu is basic text, well as you can guess I broke it.

I can boot into Mepis ok I cannot boot into Kubuntu, the error message seem to
think it can't find the boot device, kubuntu use uuid and I think one of those
has gone awry when I started playing

Here are my partitions

hda1 Acer recovery
hda2 Kunbuntu
hda3 Extended partion
hda5 Mepis
hda6 swap (shared between mepis and kubuntu)

The laptop was a dual boot with Windows XP (on hda2) and Mepis hda5. I then
installed kunbuntu over XP on hda2. Everything worked ok

The main part of the Kunbuntu menu.lst looks like this:

title Ubuntu jaunty (development branch), kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid f22f7c7c-fc56-484b-83f3-b23cc7a47554
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
root=UUID=f22f7c7c-fc56-484b-83f3-b23cc7a47554 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

In the kernel line, where it says root=UUID=etc.etc.etc

Could I replace it with root=/dev/hda2

Then I guess I would need to change the UUID line to root (hd0,?) but I am not
sure to what?

I am looking to just get the two distro to boot, I think I will pass on the
graphical grub screen for now, anybody got any thoughts??

Tim