Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation on Virtualisation books

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation on Virtualisation books
2009/4/12 Brian Chivers <brian@???>:
> I'm starting to look at virtualisation but I know very little about it.
> I've read a bit about Xen & KVM and have had several companies visit
> College drumming on about VMWare (very expensive but nice features) & M$
> HyperV(quite cheap for education). I would really like to stay open
> source but I need to read more about this as it'll be for "business
> critical" systems so stability, flexibility and easy management will be
> very important.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book / books for me to start me down this
> road :-)

Although virtualization is a relatively old technology, it's only
really been a viable technique for production applications on x86
platforms for a couple of years and it's a relatively fast developing
area. This means any book you buy on the topic is likely to have at
least one of the following flaws:

- Narrow scope (focussed on one technology)
- Outdated content
- Low quality (due to being rushed to market)

Cheers,