Re: [Hampshire] Local mail

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: linux, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Local mail
Leo wrote:
> I've done some more reading on this, and I think I know what I've got to
> do, but could someone confirm I've got the right idea for I start. I
> think I need to:
> Set my home server to forward email to my desktop.
> Setup an MTA on my desktop.
> Setup an MDA on my desktop.
> Possibly also configure the MTA on my home server to cope with my
> desktop not being on when it tries to forward the email.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

If reading admin emails generated by your home server is the end goal,
then it sounds over complicated to me Leo.

I think you just need to configure your server for local mail and
connect to it from your desktop machine's email client to pull the mail in.

If I recall correctly, I had a similar requirement a while back that I
was able to satisfy with Exim and Courier. I simply defined an IMAP
account within Thunderbird on my desktop that pointed to the appropriate
email account on the server. Then you just need to ensure that account
is the final destination for messages generated by your scripts and the
system.

Sean