Re: [Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56bff100.hantslug.org.uk.11642': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 20 23:25:09 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21:38PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a tool or technique for
> generating a packet flood attack from a Linux box,
> or small group of them?
>
> I'm trying to test methods of mitigating packet
> flood attacks on Cisco routers, but I'm having
> trouble with my control test. Despite pushing the
> 7200 to 100% CPU load, I can't seem to cause much
> in the way of denial of service - BGP sessions
> stay up, and it still responds to telnet.
>
> So far, I've not been able to generate more than
> about 1.5k packets/s - I'd like to go much higher,
> as we typically see 100k packets/s in real
> attacks.
>
> I'm currently playing with plain ping -f, using
> large packets, and hping2. I plan to look at
> hping3 which appears to have a flood option. Are
> there any other tools I could try?

If I remember aright, there's a packet generator, for test
purposes, in the netfilter code in the kernel. Might be worth a look?

Hugo.

     --- Gomez, darling, don't torture yourself.  That's my job. ---