Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (Virtual…

Author: Chris Liddell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (VirtualBox)
Stephen Rowles wrote:
>> I had to go through various Windows "installation repairs" after that,
>> but I did end up with a virtual Windows machine that was, essentially, a
>> clone of my real Windows installed - and I never booted that workstation
>> into Windows again.
>>

> Which is exactly what I'm trying to achieve.. thank you.. now I wonder if
> I can convince our IT department to provide me with some install media :S.

Given that it's only transient, you could always borrow the install
media from elsewhere. I used my own Windows 2k CD when I did this, but
that was mainly because the office is in Cambridge, and I work at home
in Andover!

> They are not exactly keen on doing anything if I mention the word Linux.
> Which odd considering we sell products which require development on Linux
> and I'm using Linux because my manager specifically asked for developers
> to move to a Linux platform - ah well!

I know the feeling. Our IT people won't support Linux, or 64 bit
Windows, or Vista, but we develop products that run on all of those.

To be fair to our guys, though, they will help out with those platforms,
just not "officially".

> Thanks for the help :)

If it helps, you're welcome. If it doesn't, I never said anything...
;-)

Chris