Re: [Hampshire] Samsung NC10

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samsung NC10
On Tuesday 28 April 2009 20:57:57 jt wrote:
> Steve Wesemeyer wrote:
> > James,
> >
> > My Samsung NC10 works fine using Opensuse 11.1 (KDE 3.5) and some minor
> > tweaks. I also have Fedora 10 installed on it which appears to work ok
> > but I haven't really soaktested it.
> >
> > There are also a number of sites that show Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 working
> > ok.
> >
> > http://nc10ubuntu.wordpress.com/
> >
> > http://nc10ubuntu.forumcircle.com/index.php
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve
>
> Thanks for your reply Steve. I'll have a look at those sites. My
> preference is definitely Opensuse (running anything else but KDE
> though). Have you tried Gnome or XFCE on the SNC10? Also, is everything
> ok regarding acpi etc - sensors etc, heat, battery on the SNC10 too...

I initially installed the Gnome edition of OpenSuse and pretty much everything
bar some of the function keys worked. With the latest kernel most of the
function keys work in KDE (especially the brightness keys) so I should think
that they work in Gnome, too. My Fedora install uses Gnome and again most
function keys work as well (http://home.ircnet.de/cru/nc10/fedora10.html has
some more info on this albeit slightly out of date).

I can suspend2ram and suspend2disk and apart from the occasional need to
reconnect to my AP after I resume from either state, the wifi works ok. The
ath5k driver is still a bit iffy but works most of the time.

The battery monitor seems accurate and the fan doesn't come on too often
either. So no real complaints in that respect.

Cheers,
Steve