Re: [Hampshire] Wireless photo frames

Author: Charlie de Courcy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless photo frames

Anton Piatek said the following on 29/04/09 21:19:
> 2009/4/29 Luke Stutters <lukestuts@??? <mailto:lukestuts@gmail.com>>
>
>     Hello HantsLUG, I have a wicked plan to put up a smart looking
>     wireless
>     photo frame in a science lab and educate the masses from a safe
>     distance.

>     It seems likely that all these wireless photo frames are powered by
>     WMP11 strangeness. Does anyone have any experience with this exciting
>     new technology?

> I would be wary of anything that requires WMP11. I did see some
> wireless frames a while ago that worked in linux, but only because
> they got the photos via a rss feed from a website (which I believe you
> had to pay a subscription to, which is just as bad).

Not necessarily so...

I'd assume that this is based on Upnp? It's being increasingly used to
share media between enabled devices.

If this is the case there are a number of free open source applications
available such as Fuppes and mediatomb that do the job brilliantly.
I'd certainly expect this from vaio [1] - with DLNA, something that
fuppes / mediatomb also handle with only a small amount of tweaking.
I use the same technology with PS3 for grabbing music / videos /
pictures from my linux box. Fuppes is by far the greater product, though
the dependencies required a fair amount of manual intervention on Ubu
Hardy.
When you're using it for streaming video/music it can do transcoding on
the fly also!

There's loads of guides for setting up fuppes to stream to the PS3, I'd
expect the config to be identical...

Good luck :)
Charlie

[1] http://dpnow.com/5272.html