Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Notebooks?

Author: Alan Bell
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Notebooks?
It is tricky to buy computers without an operating system, it really
restricts your options. I was thinking about this the other night and
(with a little help on the name from Popey) decided to build a directory
of vendors that will sell you a naked computer. I give you
http://nakedcomputers.org the site for people who like to say "No
Thanks!" to proprietary operating systems.
Novatech are listed and I have a few of their high end laptops. They
have been OK. Personally I would not go for a second hand laptop. The
hinges don't last forever and laptops tend to have a harsher life than
desktops.
Netbooks with the 1024x600 screen are OK as a satellite computer for use
on the train or whatever, but the missing 168 vertical pixels really
does make a difference.

the Naked Computers site needs a bit more publicity, if anyone wants to
blog/twitter/digg/slashdot it then that would be appreciated.

Alan.