Re: [Hampshire] sigs, was Godwin's law

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] sigs, was Godwin's law
Talking of social networking & this list as well.

Another point here is that emails have no emotion attached to them.

I can have an idea of what to put down in an email, based on my SOH and
mood, and personal view at the time. The email gets transmitted, and
then the email gets recompiled by the reader(s) who then interpret what
was written according to their own ways of thinking, SOH and mood(s) at
the time.

But the biggest problem is that as you're not actually stood in front of
the person who sent the email, you've no idea if they are joking or
being serious, due to not seeing their facial expressions etc. Even if
you know the sender, do you know them well enough to know if the email
was intended to be funny, or serious ?

Another major factor is both local language barriers, like differences
in the whole UK, and even worse, language barriers of the rest of the
world.

An Indian lady runs a shop near by where I live, Ive known her for
years, lovely as hell, but the Indian accent is still (40%) hard to
understand. Her two sons speak better English than I do. And thankfully
she has dragged her sons up to be really friendly and polite and great
to get on with. Her only problem is her husband who she is divorcing,
and trying to get rid of.

Hence why I try to write an email in a text editor first, read it three
times minimum, correct any errors, change a saying if I think it may
offend, and then send it.

But no matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who takes
offence with any email you write.

Now talking of being geeky. I hates football, rugby & cricket. Ive done
the getting drunk down the pub, done the cattle market, (sorry
nightclub), I hates the current fashion and music. I like hobbies that
are not the norm, like 3 day eventing. My music tastes include Elvis,
Garth Brooks, 60's, classical, Neil Diamond etc.

So to most "normal" people Im a boring old git, so once they bug me
about what I do, they then think "He's a geek, lets get out of here"
hence why I only mix with people who share the same type of hobbies or
have the same kind of humour and music tastes.

I dont go out of my way to get to know people outside of my own social
network, because whats the point, my life isnt about facebook, Im not
for having "friends" just for the sake of looking popular, or having a
large social network. I try to hold conversations about some non IT
subjects, but a major part of my life is computer related, so thats what
my life revolves around. My small circle of friends offer quality time
due to being able to have chats about hobbies and music that we all
share. I fail to see the point of talking about football and latest
fashion just to have another "Friend" when those two subjects bore the
hell outta me ?

Now I'll shut up and go get the kettle on, anyone for tea ?