Re: [Hampshire] P2P backup cloud (Was Re: Keeping My Hard Dr…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] P2P backup cloud (Was Re: Keeping My Hard Drives Safe)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x572f8100.hantslug.org.uk.7017': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 2 14:21:46 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 06:13:43PM -0400, Andy Random wrote:

> On Sun, 31 May 2009, Andy Smith wrote:
>
> > I could investigate doing a swap with someone else who wants 500G of
> > offsite storage, but I can't realistically fit another machine in
> > this house.
>
> Don't be silly Andy, there is always room for another computer, just get
> rid of something less important to make space... like a radiator (after
> all the PC will generate heat for you all year round) or maybe a bed :)

The word has been handed down, No More Computers Until There Is More
Space :(

> > http://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting
>
> Or you could just buy a really big VM from those nice bitfolk people...
>
> :)

I note the smiley, but to explain why I don't do this: the storage
in bitfolk's servers is of better quality and costs more than the
storage at my home where the primary copy (and historical backups)
of all this data lives. So by using my own company's services I
would in fact be spending more on the backups than I do on the data,
which in this case is a bit backwards (for some people it wouldn't
be).

I think it would be cheaper than this for me to pay someone to host
an old PC with a decent amount of disks in it on the end of their
broadband, but there is some hassle in working out how much it will
cost them in power and working it so it doesn't stomp on their own
Internet usage. If they only have 1 IP then there would also have
to be some NAT shenanigans.

It may be cheaper to use Amazon S3 than the above.

Every street should have a data silo. :)

Cheers,
Andy