Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks

Author: Anton Piatek
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks
2009/6/2 Alan Pope <alan@???>:
> 2009/6/2 Paul Tansom <paul@???>:
>> Yes, that's what I'll be doing to then create a customised CD if I go down that
>> route. The idea is that this is easy to use without an internet connection or
>> too much fiddling around, so support needs to be already on the CD.
>>

> USB stick, that way it's modifiable.
>
> You can turn an Ubuntu Live CD into a bootable modifiable USB stick
> easily with unetbootin. It's in the repo and is cross platform.

I can't recall if it was a Debian install CD or if it was a Debian
>From Scratch rescue CD, probably the DFS rescue CD. At one point I

managed to screw up my LVM by erasing a disk that was still notionally
part of the LVM - suffice to say that LVM was unhappy with this on
boot. I think the DFS rescue CD recognised the LVM instantly, whereas
on the Debian CD I might have had to force it to scan for LVM.
If you only need text-mode then any Debian install CD should work (I
suspect it was grabbing the packages from the network rather than
being on the CD).

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@???

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.