Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks
As someone who pretty well only uses RH based distros I can't remember
when I last had to 'drop a tarball' or even build something from source
with RHEL, Centos or Fedora unless it was an RPM that I was building myself.

The contrast of the above to a job I did at the start of the year where
I had to use SLES and make a whole lot of commercial software work as
the customer put it 'just like it does on Red Hat' was a real PITA

Every distro can have dependency hell issues if the rpm/dpkg packages
are put together in a 'crap' way. One case I can site is of a piece of
commercial software that was all binaries or config files that had 'gcc'
as a dependancy. I asked the supplier 'why?'. All they could say was 'it
has always been like that'. Sigh, bang head against a brick wall and try
to explain to customer why they have to have a 'C compiler' on their
system when they will never use it.

Stephen Davies