[Hampshire] O.T.- W/XP..... Help!

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] O.T.- W/XP..... Help!
I haven't used W*nd*ws for years, but I'm obliged to set up a machine for a
friend who steadfastly refuses to use anything else.

I have taken the precaution, from time to time, of backing up files from her
Dell notebook (XP Home Edition) to a USB disc. She now has a new(er) machine
running XP Professional and I'm trying to restore the files from that USB
disc.

The disc seems to automount, the drive is reported as being present and I
can unmount it successfully. But, where the hell are the files? The last
time I used w*nd*ws, an added disc drive would simply be allocated the next
drive letter in the sequence and would be accessible through that. That's
not happening, and I've tried three different drives so far, all of which
work perfectly well on my Debian machines.

I discovered (somewhere) that the disc was mounted at 'location 0', whatever
that means, but I can't find any way of accessing it.

I'm sorry to have to bother you Linux types with such a problem, but I'm
getting desperate: how do I access these files?

Chris.