Re: [Hampshire] Code style

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Code style

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57076100.hantslug.org.uk.3963': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jun 7 20:30:23 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
> > > Style A:
> > >
> > > if can_use_fast_path:
> > >     return "fast path result"
> > > # do slow stuff
> > > return "slow path result"

> > > Style B:
> > >
> > > result = "fast path result"
> > > if !can_use_fast_path:
> > >     # do slow stuff
> > >     result = "slow path result"
> > > return result

> > How expensive is evaluating can_use_fast_path?
>
>    Does it matter? It's got to be evaluated in either route. Assume
> that it's cheap compared to the cost of the slow path (otherwise it's
> not worth doing the test, of course...)

Hmm. I'd choose Style A since with Style B there's a chance I'd have to
discard one result and evaluate three things. Unless there's some
parallel funny-stuff... what's the probability of can_use_fast_path?

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D