Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off
2009/6/19 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:

> I think I heard somewhere that the radio signals that come over Freeview
> (DVB is it) are of higher quality (bit rate) than DAB and with DVB mobile
> devices becoming move prevalent (saw it on the Gadget show IIRC) I suspect
> someone will bring out gadgets that basically pick up radio over DVB.
> Presumably for this to happen, DVB coverage will have to be better than
> DAB - not sure what Digital Britain says in this regard.
>
> Personally I love DAB but only because I'm in a good area for it down here
> in Sussex.
>
> The one problem (for any of you that like to hear today in parliament) is
> that it's not available via the radio4 feed that comes via DVB.   The
> "Parliament" radio station pops up on DAB for the 15 minutes per day that
> it's required then disappears - as does the Daily Service an hour later.
> I've spoken to people at the BBC about this curiosity and their advice was
> "listen on the web" if you can't get DAB.

I think DAB is not really all that good.
One can get the radio channels over:
1) the Internet.
2) Freeview (DVB-T) and Sky Satellite (DVB-S).
3) Mobile Phone (DVB-H) (Note this one is only just stating to come
out.) It is a way of broadcasting a signal from the mobile phone radio
masts, that can be played on mobile phone devices.

I think that when everyone has 3G phones, navigation systems etc. all
built into their cars, DVB-H will be preferred over DAB.
So, for mobile users, DVB-H will be preferred over DAB.
For home users, DVB-T, DVB-S or internet radio will be preferred. Just
got to internet sites like www.spotify.com to see the compelling
benefits to not to use DAB.

Kind Regards

James