Re: [Hampshire] OT:Fwd: Mark Thompson on Media Show on R4 ab…

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:Fwd: Mark Thompson on Media Show on R4 about FM switch off
At 13:26 24/06/2009, you wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:36:11 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
><james.dutton@???> wrote:
> > I cannot see any good reason for going with DAB is the sound quality is
> > worse!
>
>Not everyone thinks like that though. The success of MP3 over CD as a
>distribution format is due to reasons other than sound quality. Similarly
>the popularity of relatively cheap and nasty camera phones over "proper"
>cameras. Some of the most popular contributed videos on youtube are badly
>lit, poorly shot and technically inferior. For some people, rightly or
>wrongly, content is more important than presentation.

True enough but with DAB radio i cant even see an improvement in convenience
which makes mp3 and phone cameras popular.

To start with we have to buy new radios or get a DAB dongle.
Next up poor reception on DAB means you get it cutting in and out in a start
stop fashion which is a lot worse than poor fm reception that just
background hiss.

The only beneficiaries of DAB are the BBC with lower costs and the government
with revenue for selling off the VHF frequencies. Why do i have to
subsidise the BBC
and government for something i don't want ?

Martin N

Owner of the bwfc yahoogroup and Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and
amithlonopen yahoo groups.