Re: [Hampshire] Sharing calendars

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sharing calendars
Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> [2009-06-24 22:48]:
>> I've got a client who wants to combine their Windows PCs with a Linux
>> server. The server will provide file sharing (using Samba), email
>> (using IMAP), and shared calendars and task lists.
>
> Since you mention he Apple CalendarServer, and personally I'd probably favour
> CalDAV as being more flexible in terms of choice of servers and clients, have
> you looked at the CalConnect website [1] (actually linked from the
> CalendarServer one). If you look at their CalDAV information [2] they have a
> selection of client and server implementations to choose from. In terms of open
> source, there's a few options.
>
> Chandler [3] looks interesting, although I tend to shy away from Java apps.
> Both DAVical [4] and SOGo [5] look up to date. There's also the modcaldav
> Apache module available [6].
>
> Those look most promising on the server side of things, but it is a while since
> I last looked and I didn't get past the experimental stage last time round (on
> my things to do list again, and things look more interesting than when I last
> looked thankfully).
>
> There's plenty to choose from on the client for Windows, Linux and Mac. For me
> I suspect that Mozilla Sunbird/Lightning [7] would be the likely choice,
> although I see Mulberry [8] has gone open source now (likely a bit dated, it
> was when I last looked, even though quite capable). If you're look to link with
> existing Outlook clients then OpenConnector [9] looks interesting - well, as
> interesting as Outlook related stuff can do ;)
>
> [1] The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium, http://www.calconnect.org/
> [2] http://caldav.calconnect.org/
> [3] http://chandlerproject.org/Developers/ChandlerServerSource
> [4] http://www.davical.org/
> [5] http://www.scalableogo.org/
> [6] http://sourceforge.net/projects/modcaldav
> [7] http://mozilla.org/
> [8] http://www.mulberrymail.com/
> [9] http://openconnector.org/
>
> OK, I may have overdone the links!

Many thanks to Sean and Paul for the suggestions.

I've tried egroupware, which looks good, but I couldn't get
Thunderbird/Lightning to talk to it.

I'm having a go at SOGo, although compiling it on Ubuntu looked
daunting, so I'm installing CentOS on a VM so that I can just install
the RPM.

I'll report back with progress.

cheers

Chris