Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi co…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi controller?
On Sunday 28 June 2009 13:16:23 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Debian have, perhaps unhelpfully, stopped shipping a lot of firmware.
> Installing Lenny onto a system with a Broadcom NetXtremeII NIC will result
> in a system with no network drivers unless you have the firmware available
> on a USB stick or similar when you install.
>
> On the one hand you have Debian's purity; on the other, pragmatism. Debian
> is going to be a harder sell as a result of this decision.

And the most recent installation of Lenny I did (last week) had neither K3b
nor CUPS there by default in the Desktop packages. This is the first time
that this has happened to me. There was no other CD burner so far as I could
see.

Debian has been becoming easier and easier to install and administer. Perhaps
this was offending the purists???

In Lenny's defence, I must put the other side of the coin. Another thing new
in my experience, X was a piece of cake. I did the installation at my house
and then took the box round to the owner. I expected to have to reconfigure
xorg.conf, since I have a monitor running at 1280x1024 and he has a
widescreen monitor. In the event, Lenny booted straight into the correct
resolution for his monitor. In fact, his display was better configured than
I have ever managed to get it before.

Lisi