Re: [Hampshire] copying data from SataII drive from VIA RAID…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] copying data from SataII drive from VIA RAID tooslow

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c8d100.hantslug.org.uk.25921': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 2 09:56:32 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 02:40:01AM +0100, Jason Butwell wrote:
> Hi, I have recently been trying to copy off 400gb of data from a seagate
> barracuda 500gb drive partition formatted as Ext3. After messing with my
> Linux system (ubuntu 8 at the time) I noticed that DMA was not enabled on my
> DVD-RW or the VIA RAID card. I am trying to copy the data to a USB2 HDD but
> it is so dog slow. I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times including the new
> 9.04 and the problem persists. It is transfering the data at 4mbps or
> something. I have installed windows onto the machine now and mounted the
> drive partition with a free 3rd party tool but it is still dog slow? I am at
> the end of my tether with it and I cant understand why it's being this crap.
> I can transfer the data over a 100mpbs network at 5mbps per second but again
> its far too slow. Writing to DVD-RW under ubuntu is problematic as well and
> writes at 3-4x speed instead of 8x? I have tried all the hdparm stuff but I
> just get errors coming up and DMA does not get enabled.

What errors? Show us the output (and the output of hdparm -iI on
the relevant drive).

> It is enabled under
> windows as far as I can see but transfering the data off the drive is still
> too slow? I am starting to think that the motherboard doesnt have very good
> linux support.

It's more likely that there is a problem with the cabling that
prevents it from picking the DMA mode.

> It is an old MSI SIS 648 Max. Anyone have any thoughts?

Show us the output of "lspci", as well, and indicate which
controllers are attached to which devices in the machine. The output
of "lsmod" would also be useful.

Hugo.

              --- The future isn't what it used to be. ---