Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
>> I have got a root tab working thanks to Stephen but still can't work out
>> the 'spell' to get a root mc tab based on the command:
>>
>> /bin/bash -c "su -"
>>
>> that he suggested. I really struggle with simple things like this as I
>> know practically zilch about programming of any sort, I'd probably even
>> struggle with html these days.
>
> right.. having installed midnight commander (never used it before) the
> following command should work:
>
> /bin/bash -c "su - -c mc"

And quite why KDE decided that they would go backwards on the
functionality for Konsole, especially when adding it is quite difficult
for an end user, having to figure out the correct magic incantation, I
don't understand.

Like the "new" way of configuring settings in KDE4 is just plain stupid,
they have thrown away the old control panel that placed everything you
need in one nice place, and replace it with a new control panel that
configures some of the settings you might want with other settings spread
between 2 different sub menus it drove me mad trying to set the default
printer before I found I had to run a separate app located in a different
menu :(

Administration -> Printers for adding and configuring your printer
Settings -> Default Printer to set which one is the default

I like KDE4 but some of their decisions are very hard to reconcile.