Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?
john lewis wrote:
>> I think the big difference will be that they say it will be Open
>> Source. Google may also end up being too successful for their own
>> good, like Microsoft. But if their OS is Open Source in the full sense
>> of the term, then at least they won't be able to hold us all to
>> ransom.

It's win-win for all consumers, including us. Microsoft have built up
way too much momentum going in the wrong direction - not innovating, not
fully understanding Web 2.0, just tying up their existing products in
more and more complex knots of fail and intermittently slapping a new
paint job on things.

Whether or not you believe Google is good or evil is irrelevant so long
as they are committed to benefiting their users. Microsoft's products
have made great strides to serve only Microsoft, and the threat of
Google is slowly slowly making them think they might once again have to
sell products users want - products that are cheap, interoperable,
simple and innovative. We might not actually buy those products but it
improves the computing landscape.

> I cannot believe they have written a new OS from scratch, it has to
> be a clone of one of the existing Linux systems if they are going to
> release as GPL eventually.

It's a Linux kernel with a "new windowing system". I'd be surprised if
they mean they've ditched X completely. Probably just not using Gnome or
KDE or anything. Maybe it's just Google Chrome locked full-screen, with
everything else you require to run your machine mapped into a web
application, so your local machine is just another website.

Dan