Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google Chrome OS..?
** Jim Kissel <jlk@???> [2009-07-09 08:24]:
> Sean Gibbins wrote:
> > John Cooper wrote:

<<snip>>
> I don't trust Google nor any other large organization, but Google is big
> enough, rich enough, and ugly enough to stand up to the Microsoft, and
> for that I am thankful.

I wouldn't class them as 'big enough, rich enough and ugly enough', I don't
think the 'big' and 'rich' bits are enough to do battle with Microsoft. The key
issue is not to have any financial reliance on Microsoft, after all the might
of IBM with OS/2 and the purchase of Lotus (Smartsuite and Notes) was unable to
get the better or Microsoft back around the release of Windows 95 [1]. Google
has some advantage here, and so long as it is not reliant on income from
providing this OS it should be OK as a company. It also has the clout in the
market place to be taken seriously, so might be slightly less prone to the
tactics used against Linux on netbooks. A decent take up of ARM based hardware
should give it a good edge too.

> God bless Chrome OS and all who switch to her from MS.

Anything that shifts the general publics mind set to be more curious and open
to find out about non Microsoft options is welcome. I may eat my words some
time down the line, but at the moment I don't care whether it is Linux, a
Google branded Linux (with or without naming it), Ubuntu, eComstation, Solaris,
or whatever, so long as it starts the process of people thinking "I can use a
computer" not "I can use Windows", and "I can use a word processor" not "I can
use Word", etc., etc., etc.

<<snip>>
** end quote [Jim Kissel]

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/368660.stm

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: