Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] xubuntu su <>sudo question
On Sunday 12 July 2009 22:16:09 Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/7/12 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > requires some of the original windows data files). When I try to run the
> > game from the cli, it tells me that it can't find sample.cat Well
> > sample.cat is there but it is spelt SAMPLE.CAT so I am trying to rename
> > SAMPLE.CAT to sample.cat (there are other files I will probably need to
> > rename but I need to get past this one first). I tried
>
> How did you copy the files? using cp?
>
> I did something similar the other day, copied some files and the case
> of them got mangled by the cp command. There's probably a switch I was
> missing. Anyway, I used the standard graphical file manager to copy
> the files and the case was fine.
>
> So you could either find out the cp parameter to copy with the right
> case (there may be more than one file that needs renaming) or just use
> nautilus:-
>
> ALT+F2, gksudo nautilus
>
> ^^ That will give you a file browser as root - but of course be
> careful with it. You can then copy the files by simply dragging and
> dropping from the Windows CD to their root-owned destination.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I used the cp command but they were in capitals on the CD so there was no
mangling.

I ran gksudo thunar from a terminal (don't know why I never thought of that!!)
and got a root access to the file manager and renamed the 9 files I needed.

I don't think nautilus is installed on xubuntu, it did not work.

Thanks

Tim