Re: [Hampshire] fstab & UUID - sanity check

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] fstab & UUID - sanity check

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585e3100.hantslug.org.uk.24304': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 17 11:54:05 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:43:15AM +0100, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:37:33 +0100, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
> > 2009/7/17 Brian Chivers <brian@???>:
> >> I'll explain I have a machine that I use to rsync stuff to with an
> >> external firewire drive & I just
> >> rebooted with it connected & / when from sda5 to sdb5 and the others map
> >> & this caused problems when
> >> I ran the autofs files as it talk to /dev/sdc1 for the first wire & this
> >> was now sda1 !!!
> >>

> > Surely this is precisely the argument _for_ using UUID and not old
> > style /dev/sda device names?
> >
> > If you get the UUID of the external drive and plug that in your fstab,
> > the problem goes away.
>
> Assuming you can get consistent UUIDs for external (USB/firewire) drives.
> Not sure whether you do or not.

I'ts not the drive that you need the UUID for -- it's the
filesystem. Most filesystems have space in their superblock for a
UUID and/or label, so you should be fine.

I tend to use the contents of /dev/disk/by-label/ or
/dev/disk/by-uuid/ rather than the LABEL= or UUID= entries (which
always seemed to be a bit of a hack to me).

Hugo.

            --- There isn't a noun that can't be verbed. ---