Re: [Hampshire] USB WiFi for WPA Network

Author: Adam Sweet
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB WiFi for WPA Network
Richard Danter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an old Compaq laptop with a built-in W200 network card. It
> seems this is not supported by Linux any longer and though it is
> possible to get the old driver to work with newer kernels it supports
> only WEP.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a cheap USB
> dongle that is able to support WPA/WPA2 and works well with Ubuntu
> 9.04? My router is 802.11b/g/n.

I bought Edimax 54g USB dongles from efficientpc.co.uk for £12 for the
dongle and £17 for the dongle with antenna but they don't seem to sell
them any more, so I found them on Linux Emporium, albeit for £20 each:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/

Both have worked fine for me under Windows and Ubuntu, including on
machines with only USB 1.1 (and consequently lower wireless connection
rates). They use the Ralink chipset, the Windows tool isn't particularly
nice but worked ok.

Adam