[Hampshire] Stopping gnome applets / monitors running?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Stopping gnome applets / monitors running?
Hi all,

I'm running Fedora 10, and I installed the KDE packages after installing
from a live CD which ran gnome. The upshot of this is that I have 2 of
almost everything all trying to be helpful at once, and in the case of
power / suspend monitors it is really unhelpful!

In particular I seem to have both the KDE and gnome power monitors
running, when I close the laptop lid one or other gets the notification
first and suspends the laptop before the other can complete. When I
resume the suspend cycle from the 2nd monitor kicks in and suspends the
laptop again!

A similar battle seems to happen over update checking and other facilities.

What is it that controls which of these are run? I can't seem to figure
out how to stop these extra unwanted gnome processes starting when I log
in to KDE.

Cheers.

Steve.