Re: [Hampshire] USB WiFi for WPA Network

Author: Alan Pope
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB WiFi for WPA Network
2009/7/27 Paul Stimpson <paul@???>:
> I'm pretty sure I've got a spare Intel IPW2200 mini-PCI card if it fits and the BIOS in the machine will recognise it.

A friend of mine has an HP laptop which had a nasty non-free mini-PCI
wifi device which was a royal pain to get working. I had a spare
IPW2200 one which we put in. Initially it didn't work because for some
reason the hardware kill switch was wired up differently for the
original mini-PCI device than the Intel one I supplied.

The solution, scrape off one of the tracks from the Intel card !

So don't be surprised if a card doesn't work right off the bat, even
if it's a nice open friendly card like the intel ones.

Cheers,
Al.