Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
> My girlfriend is moving out of her current splace and will no longer have
> access to the expert she had there (ie someone with an xbox with xbmc). I'm
> looking for a quiet multimedia PC that can be plugged into a TV for watching
> iplayer, youtube and other online video as well as video files and possibly
> a dvd (I have an external dvd player she could use though so it isn't a deal
> breaker). She said the xbox was quite noisy though so she'd like something
> quiet. Something that shouldn't have much trouble running something like
> xbmc (which she is familiar with, or any other easy to use program) and can
> connect to a SD tv would be great. A remote will also likely be required. An
> internal or external HDD would be fine as I have one spare. She is also
> interested in wii fit so a nintendo might be an option, but I have no idea
> if it would fit the bill in regards to the other requirements.
>
> What can people recommend for this (unit and remote)? It doesn't necessary
> have to be brand new so 2nd hand laptops/refurbished PCs aren't out of the
> question. Like most people (or in her case, public servants) she is pretty
> skint so the cheaper the better.
>
> All suggestions welcome :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I'd look at XBMC on XBox again - I recently upgraded XBMC to a 2009
build from a 2007 build. With features like HDD spindown timeout and
acoustic management for the fans - it's now alot more quiet than
before. There's also some new power management features available that
I never noticed before. I never notice the XBox being on now. If you
have a glass-door type AV cabinet for your gear then placing it in
there would help further. You can pick-up an Xbox extremely cheap
these days. Your local Game or Gamestation outlet should have some for
£20 or less. Check car boot sales - I bought a modded Xbox + 120Gb HDD
installed with XBMC for £4 with a little haggling (you can't return it
if it's a dud!). Modding it is of course another matter!

I never really watch YouTube, iPlayer etc on XBMC although I have
played with plugins that do that. I would advise a cheap 2nd hand
wireless G laptop with at least a P4 if streaming is your main diet.

Regarding the Wii - I have heard of media center software available
for that but I have no idea on how they perform.

Hope that helps!
Imran