Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

> Ok, I don't fully understand DKMS, but how does it help when you have
> downloaded a source tree from git and compiled and installed the modules
> it creates? I thought it only helped if you had installed a proper DKMS
> package?

For each lump of code you want to add to your kernel, you create a DKMS
configuration file. This describes what code is to be built, and how.

At boot time, the DKMS manager inspects the list of known things against
the kernel just booted. Any that aren't available are built then and
there, and added to the available modules.

It's really pretty simple...

Vic.