Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Armoured network cable supplier?

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Armoured network cable supplier?
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 04 at 12:00, Chris Dennis wrote:
> My client (www.lotusflowertrust.org) needs a network connection to their
> outside office about 30m from the main house.

Armoured cable may be well over the top for the application.

My phone and Ethernet lines run through the professionaly installed (when
the hut was buit) conduit to my hut, to meet building regs it's about three
feet deep and mains runs in a separate armoured cable. A plastic pipe with
a pull through means you can add or replace cables when you need.

But this is overkill. I've also run standard CAT5 (not even exterior grade)
buried in the turf at 2-3 inches, it's been down for three years without a
problem. I'm guessing that like most things it will last until someone with
a shovel disturbs it.

Can you tolerate a couple of days downtime if it fails and needs replacing ?
or sling a temporary replacement out the window and through the bushes.
If someone put's a spade through it they have the tools to hand to help you
bury a replacement.

--
        Bob Dunlop