Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux (pavithra

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux (pavithra
2009/8/5 Edward Beckmann <ed@???>:
> What's my conclusion? I am certainly no fan but acknowledge that MS is not
> totally stupid to have managed people's knowledge (or lack of it) so
> effectively to date.  They have managed to be seen as the only real option
> for a lot of people's lifetimes!

The whole point is even if people are buying netbooks and installing
ubuntu remix vendors like Asus and shops like PCworld disregard linux
and do Bad PR on linux which is actually hurting those newbies who
might be interested :(
>The way us open source fans can help is in
> subtly and gently helping people to become aware of the alternatives, and
> helping them in small steps.

+1
>We can waste a lot of time and energy by
> pushing against simple business economics of IT suppliers and retailers
> unless we take a moment to consider how they operate.

Have to agree , understanding the whole issue is definitely a pain and
is better left to redhat,novell,mandriva and cannonical .

Regards,
Pavithran